Monday, July 15, 2013

(Life) Getting myself back out there & dealing with nerves

Since my dear friend & grandmother figure Patricia Lukaszewski took a turn for the worst with her brain cancer & passed away, I have been giving myself time to grieve & I've been thinking about all the ways she inspires me.
She got her degree in Anthropology in her 60's and was a docent at the Burchfield Penny Art Gallery for 20 years- giving tours to visitors and teaching them about the artworks there.
I loved talking about art with her, and going to lectures with her at the Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester with her.
She always inspired me to do what I wanted, since she was 60 when she went back to school it showed me how fearless a person could be, & just exactly what a person can be capable of. 
She has left her mark big time on my life, I would not be who I am today without her. 
This week, I am being brave and going to an opening at a gallery by my home. 
I am excited to meet some fellow artists, and this show features artist's work from my hometown.
It's always wonderful to have artists to talk to. 
Networking is honestly nerve racking, but really anything worth something in life takes effort and I've found more often than not, things that make you nervous or excited-nervous have the greatest payoff. 
I love learning new things, and one of the best ways to learn is by actually doing things & exposing yourself to new experiences. 
One day, I hope to have a career that makes me really happy, as happy as Pat was when she was a docent. I know good things take time, and I've been having to remind myself of this the past few weeks. I just graduated in December, and have done very well for the short time I have had my degree.
I need to keep telling myself this more too! 
I just needed to write this post, by putting this down here, I have just lifted at least 100 pounds off my shoulders! Maybe this will even help another new graduate out there too, knowing they are not alone in how they feel. 
Everyone gets nervous about life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment