Sunday, May 5, 2013

About Books & Reading

I collect first edition books, & reading is one of my favorite things. If I could, I would be the most epic librarian ever- but you need school for that and I do not have that degree. But I have often found myself thinking, "why do I not read more often"?

I'm very busy, and upon reflection came to this conclusion- books need to be read at a special time in a special place for one to enjoy them fully. Granted this does not apply to everyone I'm sure, but for me this holds true.

When I was younger I read feverishly, with everything I'd read culminating to me reading The Origin Of Species. When I finished that amazing book, it seemed to me as if I had read everything to be read- since I had indeed finished my life reading list- that I came up with when I was about 5.

I then as usual went to school, graduated, started pre-grad school all the while wondering "had I simply read all I wanted and now do books not interest me"?
Then for Christmas, my boyfriend gave me two really beautiful books and I realized then, that I may not need to consume all the information in these books as soon as I could as in previous years, I could simply enjoy them and read them as I wanted.

This was a new but comforting thought.

There was nothing suddenly wrong about my love for books, it had just grown & evolved. Now, I love looking at my books, reading them here & there, and collecting my first editions at my own pace. I no longer need to read all the books all the time and try to find all the old books all the time.
My love for books was basically a huge burning forest fire that has calmed down into a nice little campfire and honestly I quite enjoy this new phase of life with my books.






No comments:

Post a Comment